Everyone shares responsibility for protecting children, including parents and dog owners. It is important to educate children about proper behavior when they see a dog so they can interact with it safely. Below are some dos and don'ts to share with the children in your life.
- Play appropriate games with dogs.
- Ask permission before petting.
- Give dogs personal space.
- Be careful around a mommy dog and her puppies.
- Use a quiet voice when speaking to dogs.
- Pay attention to the tail. Wagging is good. Still is bad.
- Bother dogs while they are eating.
- Take a dog's bone or toy.
- Avoid face to face contact with a dog.
- Do not run if a dog without a leash comes near you. Stand still like a tree.
- Grab a dog's tail or ears.
- Do not hug dogs. They become anxious or nervous.